Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Day ~85
Nausea scale: 5-6
Times up to pee: zero!

Sherlock, Matlock, Perry, Nancy, the Hardys, Columbo - anyone! Please, help me unravel The Mystery of the Everlasting Nausea.

Why-oh-why does it still persist? And why-oh-why does it persist even on days that dawn beautifully, full of health and vigor and appetite, only to sneakily, cruelly spiral into a post-roller-coaster, post-party-night, post-salmonella-infected-omelette type afternoon?

I have been feeling fabulous and rested and calm and robust upon waking (which anyone who knows me will find perhaps the most bizarre pregnancy symptom, being that I have aforeto been a lifelong beastly, snarling, blurry mess until about 10am). Then I eat something lovely and nutritious and innocuous, like fruit, or oatmeal, or an English muffin. And I drink some water. And, ta-da!! Not an hour later, wiith trumpet fanfare in an ominous minor key, my gut begins to burn and spin, and waves of bilious green queasiness rise halfway up my throat.

Today the sun, the sun, the glorious sun! came out from the behind the thickness of Portland clouds, and my boss was away, so I headed out for lunch - suddenly, I had to have an eggplant parmegiana sandwich. Nothing could stand in my path. Crusty bread, earthy eggplant, the delicious sweet-sharp tang of marinara ... I ate ravenously, and then immediately stopped for a strawberry ice cream cone. I sat in the sun at the window counter, and read a parenting advertorial, and pondered the seeming fact that not a single Montessori school is located in my quadrant of town. Not that we could afford private school. But maybe ...

I felt fine during the acts of eating. I felt fine for 15 minutes after eating. I went home, and wrote out a thank you note, and then ... the nausea!! I curled up on the couch and watched an E! documentary on Demi Moore and pleaded with the pregnancy gods to lift this curse from me.

I should not complain. It is getting easier. It isn't all day and night, it isn't as crippling as it was in the early weeks. But I am tired of feeling like this! I want to get stuff done. I want to do laundry and file the bills and get the house ready for all the out of town relatives.

I called my aunt S last night - and she was audibly, marvelously, thrilled beyond belief at my news! I was suprised a little, given the mess of her life. But maybe that's exactly why. She shrieked, she whooped, she chattered on and on about how wonderful it was, she gasped and ohhed and pleaded with me to host my baby shower back home. It was wonderful. I giggled for a straight hour after that, so happy that someone was that happy for me. (us!)

3 comments:

marlynn said...

Hey there! I saw your post on urbanMamas and just wanted to say hello and congratulations!! Very exciting stuff. Your blog is a fun read and I love taking a trip down memory lane... there are lots of currently pregnant mamas in Portland (either with baby #1 or #2)so I am sure you'll find many who can relate (and those of us who can nod in our recent memory :).

nonlineargirl said...

The mama detective says: nausea at 85 days is totally normal (if also totally annoying). It is not unheard of to have it for 4 months. I know you are probably staring at the calendar and thinking "3 months, 3 months, 3 months", but like most pregnancy (and child development) milestones, your timing may vary. It will likely end soon, don't worry.

miss tasty said...

Hey TMD! I hadn't had any posts on my blog until I put up that post on UrbanMamas ... so I just saw yours today! I hope you see this - I would love to stay in touch, and I am so excited to have found another first-time mama, due at the same time as me! Happy to compare notes - and even schedule a play date someday. (Oh, how weird ... to think I will be scheduling play dates soon!)