Friday, March 17, 2006

Day ~100!!!

Nausea scale: zero!
Times up to pee: once, 'cause I had a ton of water

So much to report!

First, I am in my second trimester and feeling a million times better.

Second, I told my boss (and my entire workplace). I was so nervous. I had to wrestle his door closed and pull up a chair, and he looked like I was about to get out a gun or something - closing his door?! It must mean bad news! I told him that "In the spirit of teamwork [ha ha - there are four other people in our department who are expecting babies], although I have never been a follower, I thought I should let you know that I am expecting a baby in September." He reacted quite well - and said that he had actually suspected at our department retreat last week. In his usual finessed manner, he said, "Yeah, I figured you were either eating way too much or that you were pregnant." Uhh, thanks. He yammered on about how he assumed I would take all of the maternity benefit, and we would figure it out as the time came, and it was all fine and whatever ... I told him there is no maternity benefit, and he was appalled, so that's a good sign. I then told him that he never should have bought us that new water cooler, which is humor he would appreciate.

Then, of course, the news started circulating in the halls. Most of the reactions were nice congratulations. Some of them were similar "Well gee, I wondered when you were going to say something!" which sent me into a three-day tailspin of self loathing, feeling as if I must be really giant, and that I had hidden nothing. I have no other mommies to talk to about any of this, and I got so terribly grumpy and freaked out ...

Then I went to yoga. My first pre-natal yoga class! Thank god for Motherwise Yoga at Yoga Union. Camille is the most fabulous woman, and all the other bellies in the class ... well, I was overwhelmed with emotion. I almost cried. It felt like entering this very strange land, where I somehow belonged, even though I wasn't ready to belong. Relief and fear and wonder all at the same time. Everyone was so supportive, and I even got the great idea to get a memory foam mattress pad to help me sleep. The postures were basic, but offered some much-needed stretching, and of course the "me" time was perfect.

Yesterday, we had our second OB appointment, and we heard the heartbeat again! It sounded louder and stronger and just perfect, and was a big relief. I talked with my amazing doctor about all my grumpiness and worries and frustrations, and she was so beautifully supportive. She even told me that I can stop worrying about sleeping on my left side - that women have slept on their backs and right sides and however else for a long, long time, and that she has seen plenty of women on turn onto their left side only to watch the babies heart rate go down ... and that my sleep and comfort were far more important than wedging myself into one particular sleep position. Especially when the body naturally shifts during sleep, to prevent bedsores! Thank goodness.

The belly is definitely a nice, curving mound - photos are in order.

In just another month or so, we can see pictures.

No comments: