Day ~210
The Belly's "Baby Soiree"
Pink and green paper lanterns ... a cake shaped like boobs and a belly ... two kinds of punch (with alcohol add-ins to the side) ... chicken satay, sausages, pasta salad, and munchies galore ... perfect weather ... the love and excitement of the Best Sister in Law Ever ... what a party was thrown for you, Miss Belly!
Yesterday, we had family and friends all together in our honor for only the second time in our life (the first being our wedding, and that was just a small, special group on the beach in Mexico), and it was lovely! Thanks to K, whose energy and good taste and magic touch brought together every little detail for an amazing show. And she was still smiling at the end of the day! The boys did a stroller-racing obstacle course, there was some good-hearted pestering for us to reveal your name (we still aren't sure), and "Opa" marched around making a video to go into the "Time Capsule" that will be opened on your 16th birthday. I wonder whether we'll even have the technology around to view it by then, or if we'll have holographic chips or something instead.
My girl - you have more footie pajamas than you will ever wear. I was thrilled to get a diaper pail, quite frankly, because no baby needs as many clothes as are presently piled in your room. People can't resist the cuteness, I realize, but I am making it a policy to buy new parents Very Practical Items! Whatever will we do with 17 (I am not joking) blankies?? These are not swaddling cloths - these are handmade quilts and afghans and microfleecy-cuddly things. Seriously, I don't even know where we'll store them!
Until now, I used the party as a marker in the future, to reassure myself that I had plenty of time."Oh, the party is still so far off - that's when it will be getting close. I have weeks to go!" And suddenly, I am in the "after the party" time frame. With 8 weeks to go. And so much to do, and so much to think about ....
And yet, I find myself realizing that there really isn't that much more to think about. It's going to be a lifelong ride, and we'll never be prepared in advance any more than we already are. I wonder if "life before __ __ was born" will fade into the fog, and we'll peer back at it, and wonder how we ever got along without you?
You met your grandpa T for the first time last week, too. As soon as he put his hand on the belly, you moved. You haven't done that for anyone else. You must sense that he is very special and very powerful. He was my daddy, and I worshipped him for so long ...I only wish he didn't now live halfway around the globe. Oh, you'd have fun with him!
1 comment:
You're so wise, girlie. Seriously. You're right. Eight weeks will seem like forever but at the same time it'll be nothing and you won't even know what you did during this time.
I'm loving re-living my own pregnancy by reading your experience. It reminds me of why I want to do this again. So thank you.
Post a Comment