Monday, April 24, 2006

Day ~138!

Hmmm. More spotting yesterday.

We were visiting J and S and the in-laws (and of course, sweet, chubby baby A!). Went to pee, and there on the tissue were streaks. That hadn't happened since week 17. To top it off, baby had been very quiet all weekend, with just a few little flutters here and there that Iw asn't even sure were her. So we phoned the doctor on call on the way home, and she told me to drink something sugary and lie down, while she called the hospital for my ultrasound results.

I did, and she did, and she called back to let me know that the ultrasound was completely normal with no signs of blood pockets or placenta issues; so, I should rest for the evening, and call the office first thing in the morning for an early appointment - unless the bleeding got worse or I started having cramps.

At 3:30a.m., I got up to pee (after a very bad dream), and there on the tissue, soaking right through, was light red blood. I pondered that, there on the toilet, blurry eyed, half-asleep, and finally woke up DTB, who very bravely looked at said tissue and said that if I wasn't having cramps, maybe I should get a couple more hours of sleep and call first thing.

That's what I did - and at 8:15a.m. I was in the office, having a pelvic exam that turned up nothing but "old" blood. Belly measured exactly on target, uterus located at just above the belly button, fetal heart rate 153 - all perfect for 20 weeks. The doc consulted with another ObGyn, and my instructions are to "decrease my stress," drink lots of water, and abstain from any sexual activity for a week after the last signs of spotting. Second trimester bleeding is a mystery - and "not as worrisome" as first trimester (which can mean early miscarriage) or third trimester (which can mean placental abruption, which is what mom had with me, and why I was born at 29 weeks).

A funny note - DTB asked the doctor, "So, I'm wondering about the cervix. Is it like a sphincter muscle? How does it know when to go into labor?" And she smiled and said, "You know, it's a bit of a puzzle. No one really knows exactly what triggers the body to go into labor." The mysteries of womanhood remain a mystery, my dear man.

I feel much better having heard her sweet little heart pumping away, and will now change into some work clothes and head off to my office for the afternoon ...

Little girl, what is going on in there? I hope you are blissfully resting and swimming and growing. We're almost halfway there ...

1 comment:

homunculus said...

hi mamame,
I've been wanting to post but unable to due to login problems - I think it's 'cause I never created a blog. Still haven't but I've changed my login info so I am no longer "tmd." Anyways, i'm really sorry to hear about your spotting. It sounds like the doctors are feeling pretty confident that it's not indicative of something scarier? I know how stressful this is - I keep thinking in a few more weeks my little homunculus is going to be viable without me and just hang in there baby! Congratulations on the ultrasound and gender id. We're doing ours this week - i'll let you know. If you'd like to email me separately (although I'd appreciate it if you didn't post my email on your blog) please do at thuand2000@yahoo.com

-homunculus, formerly tmd.