- Suddenly, Nora can grab onto things and hold on really tight. Changing her clothes is a whole new challenge, all of sudden. She grabs the inside of her sleeves, and I have to pry her fingers loose to get her arms through.
-Along with the above - Nora is now arching her back into a deep C, turning onto her side, and craning her neck to peer someplace above the top of her head. So, so close to rolling back to front. The determined wiggling makes her into a slippery trout, especially at 4am, when she is most gleeful.
-But, she only wakes up at 4 or 5am. She goes down at 7:00, almost to the minute, and just has that one early morning wakeup call. I can sometimes actually hear her stomach growling when she starts to stir, so no wonder. She starts babbling, maybe a few frustrated wails if i wait too long. Change her, try not to start giggling and chattering at her (in the hopes of keeping sort of someplace near a sleep zone), feed her, and she's back out.
- She has lately taken to sleeping with one hand holding tightly to a vertical rail of her bassinet. I find this completely hilarious. On her back, out cold, one arm stretched straight out, and those little fingers gripping the bar.
-Then she wakes up again at 7ish. Usually shrieking and giggling with total joy at being alive. Sticking her tiny, chubby legs into the air and rolling around. God, it kills me every time. She never wakes up crying. I am so lucky.
- Every couple of a days, a brand new noise bursts out of her mouth. It always surprises me and totally enthralls me. This week, it's a more deep-throated "HOO! HOO!" and a look of fierce determination when she sees something new or exciting, like the window above the fireplace (through which you can see waving branches against the sky).
- She got a fever of 102 the day after her four month vaccines. It was awful watching that. She was just lying there, staring. Thank god for Tylenol - at least I felt like I was doing something.
- It's getting really hard to know what to do with her at this stage. She isn't sitting, she's frustrated by the bouncy seat, she wants to move. But she can't, and the grabby toys only hold her attention for so long, and even though I can babble at her for a long, long time, even I reach my limits. Soon enough, she'll take off and it will be a whole new world (one that I am both so excited for, and a little terrified of). But right now - tough! I worry a lot that I'm missing some critical type of stimulation I should be giving her.
-Last week, she suddenly had just enough hair on top that I could make a little Kewpie spike. I was somehow deeply amused and joy-jumpy that I could do something with her hair. How silly.
- I am, interestingly, thrilled and a little braggy about the fact that she's apparently going to keep those deep blue eyes. No one in my family has blue eyes. It means I have a sneaky recessive blue eye gene in there. Kinda cool. And really, her eyes are so beautiful and indigo ...
- I have been feeling my first blushes of mama pride. Over things like how good natured she was about learning to drink down her liquid Zantac.In peppermint flavor. How dumb! Who on earth decided it was a good idea to flavor something for infants with peppermint?! The expression on her face that first time ... oy. But now, she takes it down and looks me square in the eye while doing so, and I swear, she can tell how concerned and proud I am.
That's enough rambling for now, on this almost-deserted mama blog. It's just been so crazy and wonderful. And fast. And humbling.
ps: Coming to work is getting a tiny bit easier for some reason. Probably because it doesn't seem like she's suffering from my absence. But still - the guilt!
No comments:
Post a Comment