Monday, May 15, 2006

Day ~159 HAPPY FIRST MOTHER'S DAY!

Yesterday was my first mother's day. How odd and giggly to suddenly aquire a whole new holiday for myself. DTB actually remembered to get me a gift (a cute maternity top - I have been suffering in the wardrobe department), and even better, the sweetest card in which he actually wrote something longer than 3 words and expressed his love for me and our growing family in his wonderful, tender, way.

My mom gave me flowers, and I got a few emails wishing me a happy day. How nice.

Miss Belly does not move much on the weekends. Have I mentioned that before? I have a few theories. A) Being at home is relaxing, so she just chills; B) When I'm at home, I spend a lot more time on my feet (cooking, running errands, going to yoga, etc) so I'm just not noticing it as much as when I'm seated 8 hours a day at work; or C) She spends the weekends growing, and therefore sleeping more, which is also why my belly seems to expand suddenly every Sunday night.

Option B is the most likely I suppose. I get so freaked out, though, after a whole day of not feeling the little wiggles and bumps. And what do you know, as soon as I sit down at my desk and start clacking away at the keyboard, she gets going. Maybe she'll be a writer like me - programmed from the early cellular stages with the rackety, clickety sounds of the keys.

As we were walking home from a cookout at R and K's last night, I asked DTB, "Does 17 and a half weeks sound like a long time to you?" And he laughed, and said, "Not anymore!" I can't believe we have just 17 and a half weeks until our daughter arrives, our household increases by one, and I become a mama. I'm not at all scared of labor - I am, however, terrified that I won't have enough to give to this little girl, that I will fail, that I will get too tired and too overwhelmed by it all ... at the same time, I have a feeling it might just be like the other happiest surprise of my life - the joy of being married, which I never expected at all.

Thank you, happy baby, for arriving on the scene and making me grow (inside and outside!) so much as a person, already ...

No comments: